The Greenville Board of Development was chartered by the City Council in 1941 to promote industrial growth in the city. The Board is funded through the municipally owned electric utility system, and specializes in assisting companies with their relocation and expansion plans as well as promoting other economic development and growth in Greenville.
In 2002, Greenville voters elected to invest a 1/8 of one percent sales tax for economic development and formed the Greenville 4A Economic Development Corporation, in accordance with Texas Development Corporation Act of 1979 (Texas Revised Civil Statues Article 5190.6).
The 4A Sales Tax proceeds are dedicated by statute to economic development projects to primarily promote new and expanded industrial and manufacturing activities that result in the creation or retention of approved primary jobs. ‘Primary job’ is defined to mean a job that is “available at a company for which a majority of the products or services of that company are ultimately exported to regional, statewide, national, or international markets infusing new dollars into the local economy” and meet any one of a certain enumerated sector numbers of the North American Industry Classification System (NAICS).
The Greenville EDC Board of Directors and Staff are dedicated to providing assistance for the investment and job growth of existing primary employers, and for the attraction of new manufacturing companies and industries through the availability of abundant low-cost land, aggressive financial incentives and other support activities.